Monday, August 19, 2013

The Night Before

Well, it is the night before. The night before the summer ends and school meetings begin. At 8 am. In the morning. Hmmm....I haven't been fully awake and dressed that early, in a while. True, students don't show up until Thursday. But there is lots to do before they arrive. I have a car full of supplies and many boxes to unpack. I want to change all my bulletin boards and give my classroom a thorough cleaning. I wonder how I will sleep tonight. Tomorrow, will mark my 17th year as a teacher (not entirely accurate, as I "played" teacher as a child, was a camp counselor in high school, and ran a after-school program in college). Even though I try, I can no longer say that I am new. But what kind of teacher am I? Well, this year I am the kind of teacher who is willing to change everything. I will not do the same old. There is a space theme! New section names, new bulletin boards, new inquiry projects called Lunar Base, ECLESS, and Rover-X. Space Camp taught me so much (and I had a blast). It was eye opening to a new style of teaching, just when I was waiting and ready for it. I will start the year with an activity I found thru feedly (shhhh....not telling anyone, yet). But it will be NEW and get students to collaborate and think creatively. I read "Teach Like a Pirate" by Dave Burgess and I am fired up, ready to lead my students to new adventures and not be afraid to "jump ship" from old ways. (In fact, I think no more Scientific Method review and no more Egg Lab!) I had a great summer, filled with family and friends. I saw new places (Martha's Vineyard and Quebec). I re-discovered my love of camping. I read a bunch of books. I binged watched "The West Wing" into season 2. I even managed to run consistently in the last few weeks. Let's get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment